суббота, 22 октября 2011 г.

I almost felt like banging my head to the wall

wondering whether such a maneuver would prove to be effective. I was still staring at the piece of paper on my table, wondering whether the senseless doodles I have written will mysteriously transform into something lucid. I must have had made more than a dozen of opening statements, and yet none had seem to be it.
The dilemma on choosing an appropriate topic for a college admission essay plagues the college hopefuls perennially. Anyone who wants to earn a degree almost always starts off with an impasse.
I remember dreading writing mine a few years back. The anxiety seemed to have weighed me down much more, since I was applying for a degree which majored in Journalism, in one of the most revered University in the country.
The University did come up with a number of guidelines on the essay, but deciding the tone, specific topic and delivery was still a painstaking task. After all, my future was at stake.
When I had nothing to do, I was mentally drafting an essay – coming up with a few opening statements, which varied from time to time. Every time a phrase would come into mind, I would write them in the nearest available sheet of paper and stash them inside my bag for future reference. However, these exercises did not bring me much nearer to finishing the essay. I was deliberately procrastinating; I avoided the actual writing process as much as I could.
Never force something, this was my mantra which I have willingly applied to writing.
Needless to say, this mantra can only do so much. It certainly did not ensue any yogic vibe of relaxation. Scared that my impasse will turn into a deadlock, I have forced myself into writing, as the deadline is just a few days away.
I was writing, or more appropriately – doodling, for what seemed an eternity. I was scribbling absurdly and almost tempted to hit my head against the wall when my epiphany had finally come.
I remember being euphoric at that time. My mind finally came up with coherent ideas, while my hand gained the momentum to write something substantial and worthy of being called an essay. After a couple of hours or so, I was immensely satisfied. The draft was rough but sans the typographical errors – the content was satisfying.
After revising the essay and reviewing it for any error, I was finished and pleased. I have come up with an essay which wittingly, yet seriously, discussed my future path. I presented my plans in a casual tone, but did not sacrifice the scholarly value of the essay. I could confidently say this, as I have gone to that University, with the course I wanted, and went through my college years without much of major difficulty.
Tasked with a topic to discuss college admission essay, it was like I was sucked back into the black hole of my pre-college years. I found myself in an impasse, once again, tossing topics in my head from time to time. In reminiscence of that era, the epiphany did come later. The confidence I had before was still there – but just as any college hopeful, I still have to wait whether the “university” would still be as accommodating.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий